expands all powers of products and powers.
expands only with respect to the variables xi.
Details and Options
- PowerExpand converts to , whatever the form of is.
- PowerExpand also converts to , whatever the form of is.
- The transformations made by PowerExpand are correct in general only if is an integer or and are positive real numbers.
- PowerExpand converts Log[a^b] to bLog[a].
- PowerExpand in general disregards all issues of branches of multivalued functions, so may not preserve the numerical values of expressions.
- PowerExpand automatically threads over lists, as well as equations, inequalities and logic functions.
- PowerExpand has the option Assumptions, specifying assumptions to use.
- The default setting for the Assumptions option is Automatic, corresponding to a maximal set of assumptions.
- You can specify default assumptions for PowerExpand using Assuming.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (1)
Without PowerExpand, no expansion is done:
Generalizations & Extensions (1)
Properties & Relations (5)
Possible Issues (1)
Introduced in 1991
(2.0)| Updated in 2007