gives the form of expr that would be obtained if symbols in it were replaced by explicit numerical expressions satisfying the assumptions assum.
Details and Options
- Assumptions can consist of equations, inequalities, domain specifications such as x∈Integers, and logical combinations of these.
- Refine can be used on equations, inequalities, and domain specifications.
- Quantities that appear algebraically in inequalities are always assumed to be real.
- Refine is one of the transformations tried by Simplify.
- The following options can be given:
Assumptions $Assumptions default assumptions to append to assum TimeConstraint 30 for how many seconds to try doing any particular transformation
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (2)
Refine evaluates to when a symbolic expression is assumed to be positive:
The time spent on a single condition check is restricted by the value of TimeConstraint:
With a time constraint of 1 second, Refine cannot prove that :
Properties & Relations (4)
Wolfram Research (2003), Refine, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Refine.html.
Wolfram Language. 2003. "Refine." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Refine.html.
Wolfram Language. (2003). Refine. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Refine.html