tries to expand out special and certain other functions in expr, when possible reducing compound arguments to simpler ones.
expands using assumptions.
Details and Options
- FunctionExpand uses a large collection of rules.
- FunctionExpand applies to certain trigonometric functions as well as special functions.
- FunctionExpand attempts to expand DifferentialRoot and DifferenceRoot objects in terms of special and other functions.
- FunctionExpand is automatically called by FullSimplify.
- Assumptions in FunctionExpand can be specified as in Simplify.
- FunctionExpand[expr,x∈Reals] performs expansion assuming that x is real.
- FunctionExpand has the option Assumptions, specifying default assumptions to be appended to assum.
- The default setting for the Assumptions option is $Assumptions.
- You can specify default assumptions for FunctionExpand using Assuming.
- FunctionExpand automatically threads over lists in expr, as well as equations, inequalities and logic functions.
Examplesopen allclose all
Introduced in 1996
(3.0)| Updated in 2008