imports cells with the given cell style from the specified notebook.
imports cells in the form specified by form.
Details and Options
- In NotebookImport[notebook,…], notebook can be a NotebookObject, a file name, a CloudObject corresponding to a notebook, or a Notebook expression.
- If style is a pattern, cells whose style matches that pattern are imported. A typical pattern is "name1"|"name2"|…, indicating to import any of the styles namei.
- If style is _, all cells are imported.
- Possible values for form include:
"Boxes" first argument of low-level cell expression "Cell" complete low-level cell expression "Expression" cell converted to an expression "HeldExpression" cell converted to a held expression "HeldInterpretedCell" cell converted to a held TextCell or ExpressionCell "Hyperlinks" list of hyperlinks in the cell "InactiveExpression" cell converted to an inactive expression "InputText" cell contents as given by Copy As ▶ Input Text "InterpretedCell" cell converted to a TextCell or ExpressionCell "Text" cell contents as given by Copy As ▶ Plain Text
- The following options can be given:
"FlattenCellGroups" True whether to flatten nested lists corresponding to the cell group hierarchy "StyleImportRules" Automatic specify forms to return for different cell styles
- With the setting "FlattenCellGroups"->False, one level of list will be present for every cell group in the notebook, whether or not any cells were imported from that group.
- The setting "StyleImportRules"->Automatic is equivalent to the following mappings:
"Title" "Text" "Chapter"
"Code" "Cell" "Input" "HeldExpression" "Output" "Expression" "Message" "Text" "Print" "Print"
- Other styles are given in "Boxes" form.
Examplesopen allclose all
Basic Examples (1)
Import the cells in this notebook to the default forms:
Import cells in this notebook as a list of text strings:
Import only Input style cells, as held expressions:
Import input cells as evaluatable text:
Import input cells as inactive expressions:
Import all input and output cells from a notebook, preserving cell grouping information:
Import from a Notebook expression:
The "InterpretedCell" form results in a list of TextCell and ExpressionCell expressions, as appropriate:
The "HeldInterpretedCell" form returns held expressions:
The "Cell" form returns expressions appropriate for use in low-level notebook operations, like NotebookPut:
The "Hyperlinks" form returns a list of Hyperlink expressions imported from each cell:
Possible Issues (2)
Cells that contain an incomplete expression will fail when imported to an expression-based form:
HoldComplete affects only evaluation, not typesetting:
Use InputForm to see the untypeset form of the returned expressions:
String-based forms are inert to evaluation and most typesetting:
Wolfram Research (2015), NotebookImport, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/NotebookImport.html.
Wolfram Language. 2015. "NotebookImport." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/NotebookImport.html.
Wolfram Language. (2015). NotebookImport. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/NotebookImport.html