sets the specified default options for a symbol s.
- SetOptions is equivalent to an assignment that redefines certain elements of the list Options[s] of default options.
- SetOptions can be used on Protected symbols that do not also have the Locked attribute.
- SetOptions returns the new form of Options[s].
- You can use SetOptions on InputStream and OutputStream objects. If there is only one stream with a particular name, you can give the name as a string as the argument of Options.
- SetOptions can be used on a list of streams, such as the value of $Output.
- If object refers to a front end object such as $FrontEnd, NotebookObject, or CellObject, the kernel will send a request to the front end that will immediately make the change specified.
Examplesopen allclose all
Reset the default precision for HilbertMatrix:
Now HilbertMatrix uses machine numbers by default:
Write Range to the file and close the stream:
Properties & Relations (2)
SetOptions can be used to modify protected symbols:
The symbol still has attribute Protected:
SetPermissions only resets the capabilities of the given user groups:
Possible Issues (2)
SetOptions can only be used the change the default value of an option, not to add a new one:
CurrentValue provides a better way of adding or changing specific rules:
Wolfram Research (1988), SetOptions, Wolfram Language function, https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/SetOptions.html (updated 2012).
Wolfram Language. 1988. "SetOptions." Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Wolfram Research. Last Modified 2012. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/SetOptions.html.
Wolfram Language. (1988). SetOptions. Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center. Retrieved from https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/SetOptions.html