- FileFormat returns a format name of the type used by Import.
- FileFormat uses heuristic methods, and may not give correct results, particularly for shorter files.
- FileFormat does not verify that Import would succeed if applied to "name".
- FileFormat gets clues from both names of files and properties of files recorded in the filesystem, but bases the final result it returns only on the actual contents of files.
- FileFormat[File["name"]] is also supported.
Introduced in 2007
|Updated in 2017